Friday, December 20, 2013

Contemporary Miami at Wynwood, Art Basel

This was my first year attending Art Basel in Miami. I know, crazy right since I live just up the road in Fort Lauderdale? In the past I didn't want to brave the crowds, but this year I was Gallery represented by ArtBlend of Fort Lauderdale in the Spectrum tent in the Wynwood Arts District. In addition to that, I was fortunate enough to have received free tickets to several other of the art show tents as well due to the connections made throughout 2013 submitting to Gallery 'Calls for Art' and joining Gallery/Art Newsletter mailing lists... (There's a hint for ya if you want to score tickets next year to Miami or NY!)

ArtBlend Gallery in Fort Lauderdale was representing my Asia Series paintings. Here are a few of them:

Hana

Prosperity

Song

Dynasty

I took artistic license in creating "artful calligraphy" for these paintings based on my experience in studying Chinese calligraphy painting, but allowing myself to make up the letter forms. In an effort to then attach meaning to each painting, I wrote a Haiku style poem on the back for how the painting reminded me of of my having grown up in Taipei, Taiwan and Seoul, Korea as a child.

Here are some of my favorite pieces by other artists from the Miami Art Basel Wynwood Contemporary shows:

blah, blah, blah - Mel Bochner, Quint Contemporary Art

Ross Bonfanti (creepy, but cool!)

Judy Pfaff,  Accola Griefen Gallery (encaustic wax on ephemera from India)

 
Ensayo Sobre Guero Tropical, Omar Chacon, Fouladi Projects Gallery

Alejo Santa Maria

Festival, Suh Jeong Min, Jankossen Contemporary (rolled and sliced Korean paper)

Richard Hart, Baang & Burne Gallery
Me with Charlie of Baang & Burne Gallery, NY who graciously gave me tickets to the CONTEXT Contemporary Art Show. In front of her artist, Richart Hart's, powerful works.

And, last but not least, my fellow artist Tonia Wasko and I were fascinated by the running videos with sound  encapsulated in glass jars by artist David Zimmer at the Robischon Gallery booth. Here's a link to a video I took of one of the jars YouTube of Live Tornado Capsule. You can see more of David Zimmer's artwork at the Robischon Gallery website HERE.

Hope you enjoyed this glimpse into Miami's Art Basel 2013! HAPPY ARTING! Tristina

No comments:

Post a Comment