Saturday, July 12, 2014

On The Bench - Channeling Rothko in Pastel

Sometimes art materials just SPEAK to me... come hither and pick me up, create something, do it now! Thus was the case with my dry pastel sticks yesterday. It was time to reorganize my colors after a large clearance purchase SCORE of pastel sticks, and since I was touching them anyway... Here's how far I went:

 Channeling Rothko 1, 11in x 14in pastel on paper 
with Pebeo high density modeling paste.

Began a second pastel painting from a photograph I took in France
using water soluble dry pastels from Charvin on Art Spectrum
Colourfix pastel and mixed media paper.

After emptying one of my pastel bins during the reorganization, I found loads of powdered pigment left over in the bottom of the container. 



I was horrified at the thought of cleaning out the beautiful colored powders into the trash, so I grabbed one of my art journals and a makeup sponge and went to town creating soft pastel backgrounds with the left overs. No pigment left behind!


For a quick fix to your burning desire to create, I recommend trying dry pastels!

Happy Arting!  :)  Tristina

No comments:

Post a Comment