Thursday, February 19, 2015

Color Theory Refresher

Who doesn't love books that are short & sweet with bold pictures? I recently found at my local Michael's Arts & Crafts store a Color Theory book by Patti Mollica that looked quite interesting on thumbing through. After having read the book, I'm so glad I picked it up!


Patti's explanation of tints and shades along with the expanded color wheel to include these was enlightening. I also especially liked her explanation of color blending to create loads of greens and skin tones - both with 'warm' or 'cool' tendancies. The Value Study examples were fundamentally important and I adored Patti's Personal Approaches to Color filled with her expressive paintings illustrating the different color & composition techniques she described in the book.

The main message I got from this book is to not feel "creatively stifled" by the "rules" of color theory, rather use the knowledge gained to embolden the Artist's color reproitore and help to troubleshoot areas of "visual discord" in works. 

I highly recommend this Artist's Library Series book from Walter Foster; especially for beginning painters, although experienced Artists may also find the excellent descriptions, illustrations and painting photographs helpful as well. I know I did! Take a peek inside yourself HERE.

Happy Arting!  Tristina Dietz Elmes

No comments:

Post a Comment